Get the information you need
Finally, remember you can call us at any stage for free advice on 1300 NOVITA (1300 668 482) or visit our Contact Us page for more ways to get in touch.
- Department for Communities and Social Inclusion http://dcsi.sa.gov.au/services/disability-sa
- The inclusion hub guide to the national disability insurance scheme (NDIS) http://www.theinclusionhub.com.au/about-ndis/
- What is the NDIS? https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/what-ndis.html
- 5 things you need to know about NDIS in South Australia https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/our-sites/sa/5-things-about-ndis-south-australia.html
- The raising children network http://raisingchildren.net.au/children_with_disability/children_with_disability.html
- Best Practice in early childhood intervention guidelines https://www.ecia.org.au/documents/item/186)
- You will likely have a number of appointments with different doctors or specialists, so start a notebook to record all of your conversations and appointments.
- Keep all your documents in a single folder (you will need to keep receipts, invoices, forms etc.)
Contact us for free advice and assistance with navigating the NDIS, we can help you through the entire process (phone: 1300 668 482)
Contact the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) for advice regarding eligibility (PH 1800 800 110, www.ndis.gov.au).
Investigate all your funding options
We understand that every child and family is unique. We can help you identify services that will meet your child’s individual needs (even if we don’t offer them ourselves) and the best funding options for you. Funding options include:
- Medicare plans
- Private health
- State Government funded – prior to Jan 1 2017 young people aged 15-17, with a physical disability, may be eligible for State Government funding.
- Self-funded – you can pay the full fee without any funding
Call us on 1300 668 482 to discuss which of these options would be best for you.
Develop a plan and get started straight away
To give your child the best outcomes it’s important to start intervention as soon as possible. It’s never too early (or too late)! Even children as young as three months old can begin intervention therapies. If you are eligible for the NDIS it can take several months for your funding and Plan to be approved. In the meantime, you may wish to organise immediate access to services including:
- Community based services such as Kindergym
- Attend parent information sessions
- Engage one of our social workers who can help you come up with a plan
- School holiday programs
- Out of school hours care (OSHC)
You can visit our calendar to see what groups and programs on offer and when.
Choose your provider
Once you have an approved NDIS plan it will be up to you to decide where to spend your money and to choose a provider. If you choose to work with Novita, we will work with you to develop a plan that will document the services, strategies and supports you need based on the goals identified in your child’s NDIS Plan. This will ensure a coordinated approach.
There are many benefits to working exclusively with Novita including:
- Benefiting from 75 years of experience and success
- We can provide all the services you need as well as a coordinated approach to your child’s needs
- Your child’s team of therapists talk with each other and share your child’s outcomes
- We have the best equipment and facilities in South Australia
- We service the entire state and can even deliver therapy in your home or your child’s school
- We raise over a million dollars through fundraising and events every year that allows us to offer benefits over and above what the NDIS will pay for.
If you choose to split your services over different providers you should consider the following to achieve the best for your child:
- Ensure they use evidence-based practices
- Be clear and upfront with your other service providers that you are splitting your services and that you would like your service providers to communicate with each other regularly (you will need to pay extra for this) in order to coordinate therapies.
Start services & celebrate success
Many members of the Novita family come to us having only been told what their child won’t achieve or can’t achieve. But after 75 years of experience we know the best outcomes are achieved when we focus on recognising your child’s abilities and strengths and celebrate the amazing and extraordinary things they do achieve!
If you would like information or free advice, speak to someone in our friendly team on 1300 NOVITA (1300 668 482) or visit our Contact Us page for more ways to get in touch.