To create a tailored physio program for you, Novita physiotherapists use specialised assessments to understand:
• how you move, your strengths and difficulties
• how you best learn in relation to movement development
• what may be limiting your ability to achieve movement skills or goals.
For people living with physical disability, regular check-ups are highly recommended to monitor any changes. We can teach you and your families how to properly look after your bodies in order to:
• manage abnormal muscle tone and reduce its effect on function
• maintain or improve movement and mobility skills
• maintain flexibility
• prevent pain or discomfort.
Even small changes in muscle length or joint mobility can have a big impact on how well you can move in the future. A tailored therapy program, can assist to maintain flexibility of tight muscles and minimise or prevent pain.
Novita physiotherapists provide advice and therapy programs to assist with development of functional mobility skills and abilities and may include:
• stretching, strengthening and balance exercises
• functional skills training
• aquatic therapy
• using splints to support joint and muscle function
• parent training to assist your kids during day to day care, play, school and leisure activities
• the use of customised postural and mobility equipment to enable your child to participate in everyday activities such as school, sporting and recreational events (e.g. a modified walker)
Programs are tailored to individual goals, strengths and needs and consider the daily activities and routines that can be used to support skill development and maintain activity, flexibility and strength.
When should you see a physiotherapist?
We recommend that you talk to a Novita physiotherapist if you have any concerns or questions related to:
• how you our your kids move, walk, play, and participate in physical activity and sports
• delay in the development of mobility milestones
• baby or young kids not tolerating certain positions
• a difference in the way you or your kids use the two sides of their body
• clumsiness or unusual walking pattern
• changes observed following a recent growth spurt
Physiotherapy is also recommended following procedures such as muscle and bone surgery, or Botulinum (botox) injections.
Assistive Technology for Positioning and Mobility
Assistive technology is an aid or equipment that can assist you to do something that you would otherwise not be able to do, such as sitting in a chair or walking. Physiotherapists are able to advise assist you on the use and range of splints and specialised equipment available to enable you to sit, stand, walk and move about your home and community. See our Assistive Technology Service for more information.
Novita Kids Physio Clinic
This is a physiotherapy service specifically to address injury and/or pain issues kids maybe experiencing. When movement and mobility issues in children are not corrected or identified, tightness of muscles, pain and changes in their mobility may develop.
This clinic is run by physiotherapists with expertise in working with kids living with physical disability and specific knowledge on the management of bone, muscular and joint issues. They can provide:
- Biomechanical assessments
- Postural and gait evaluations
- Techniques to address tightness of muscles, mobility of joints and pain issues